All foreigners wanting to enter Spain to live and work or study must have a visa, unless they are European citizens (Germany, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Spain, Finland, France, Greece, Holland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Portugal, United Kingdom and Sweden), a national of one of the states which make up the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) or a Swiss national.

Workers from the above countries who come to Spain to carry out a temporary business activity, either as an employee or self-employed, have access to the same conditions as a Spanish worker.

Workers from countries outside the EU who would like to carry out a profit-seeking, employment or professional activity in the country must apply for a temporary work visa from the relevant consulate or diplomatic office.

In order for them to be granted a visa, there are a series of requirements established by the regulations and these are managed by the Ministry of Employment and Social Security.

Companies providing production services can help resolve some issues concerning hiring foreign staff. Spain Film Commission's network of offices facilitates contact with these companies and with the public authorities which process this kind of visas.